What is microneedling?
Microneedling is a skin-rejuvenating treatment. Restoration Lab has partnered with SkinPen (Crown Aesthetics) to provide our clients with the first FDA approved microneedle machine, SkinPen. The microneedling machine uses very small needles to create punctures in the top layer of skin, basically tricking the body to go into repair mode, producing more collagen and sending healing agents to the treatment area. The goal of this treatment is to improve overall texture and appearance. It helps plump the skin by promoting collagen production in the treatment area.
Studies have showed skin treated with four microneedling sessions spaced one month apart produced up to a 400% increase in collagen and elastin six months after completing treatment.
Microneedling also provides a solution to acne scarring, stretch marks and wrinkles that doesn’t require the use of a laser, with little-to-no down time. The rapid succession of the treatment encourages epidermal healing; the result is collagen stimulation with reduced pain and discomfort.
Why choose SkinPen for microneedling?
- SkinPen rejuvenates from the inside out for younger looking skin.
- SkinPen is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device.
- SkinPen is proven safe and effective, delivering results that last up to six months.
- SkinPen is a quick-and-easy treatment with little to no downtime.
- SkinPen is proven to improve the appearance of acne scars and wrinkles on the neck.
SkinPen 3-Step Process
SkinPen’s microneedles pierce the skin, triggering your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow, and begin to create new tissue.
The micro-wounds created by SkinPen are rebuilt with new granulation cells that include collagen proteins. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
Remodeling The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels which are comprised of rich collagen and elastin proteins. These proteins improve skin youthfulness.
How many microneedling treatments do I need?
To maximize improvement in overall skin texture and appearance, Restoration Lab recommends a minimum of 3–4 treatments booked around a month or so apart to achieve optimal results. Once you see the results from microneedling you’ll want to come back for more!
Does it hurt?
Everyone’s pain threshold is different but, generally speaking, the Skin Pen microneedling treatments aren’t painful. There are certain sensitive areas on the face that may feel a little funny, or briefly cause a little stinging (like the nose, forehead or upperlip), but the pain generally subsides quickly. Our Providers will assess your skin and pain threshold to provide recommendations to mitigate any discomfort.
What is the downtime?
Downtime on microneedling treatments is typically quick, but it just depends on your skin and how your skin reacts to the treatment. The skin may be red and a little swollen for a few hours after the treatment and we recommend not touching or applying unapproved product until your skin feels like it’s back to “normal”.
SkinPen Pre-Procedure Instructions:
- Please discontinue products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc.) 24 hours before treatment.
- If you have a history of herpes or cold sores, we highly recommend a course of antiviral medication 3 days prior and 3 days after this procedure. This will prevent an outbreak of cold sores if you are prone to them. Please call your physician for your antiviral medication.
SkinPen Post-Procedure Instructions:
Immediately Following Treatment:
- Do not apply anything to the skin for 6-8 hours after treatment. Keep skin as free of bacteria as possible. Avoid touching your face too.
- Avoid clothing, headbands, hats or scarves on the treated area. If clothing is to be worn over the treatment area, we recommend cotton clothing that hasn’t been treated with fabric softeners or dryer sheets.
- Redness and/or swelling is common and will resolve within 1-2 days.
8 Hours After Treatment
- Cleanse skin then apply the three-step post care treatment plan given to you in the office. Do not apply anything else to the skin.
Days 1-6 Post Treatment
- AM Routine-Cleanse skin then apply vitamin C serum and hydrating lotions using the products recommended to you by Restoration Lab. Follow with SPF.
- PM Routine- Cleanse skin and apply the moisturizing cream using the products recommended to you by your clinician.
- Bruising, pinpoint bleeding, minor scabbing, minor breakouts, swelling and/or redness may occur and will resolve within 7-10 days of treatment.
- Do not pick, peel, rub, scrub or irritate your skin in any way while it is healing, as this may cause scarring.
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs and sweaty activity; this includes exercise of any kind.
- Do not use an electric or manual facial brush of any kind. This will cause significant irritation.
- Mineral make-up may be worn, however, we recommend leaving skin clean for this time period if possible.
Days 7 and beyond
- You may resume your prescribed skin care protocol.
Call us with any questions, we love to hear from you!
Microneedle Add-On Services
Restoration Lab offers a multitude of additional services that are performed in conjunction with microneedling to provide enhanced aesthetics results.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatments
Microneedling with PRP is a cosmetic treatment that stimulates collagen production by rolling fine needles over the skin and applying platelets, which are one of the components of blood. The addition of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) from the blood makes microneedling more effective. The liquid in blood is plasma, while platelets are solid and have the nutrient and collagen stimulating factors.
We recommend at least 3+ treatments of SkinPen plus PRP treatments for best results (depending on condition, more treatments may be appropriate).